Friday, August 9, 2013

Summer Recipes: Gluten Free Peach Cobbler

Ok folks, consider this your warning. I have adapted a Paula Deen recipe to make it gluten free. What this ultimately means it that this recipe is in no way dairy free--- READ: There is Buttah’ and Milk.

It is peach season here in the northeast. That means a surplus of peach recipes to share. I went with my little men to pick up some peaches yesterday. Actually, I went to PICK peaches with them, while my husband was out of town working. Yep, I’m insane. Luckily for me, our local orchard is in-between varieties of peaches- so we had to settle for one of the remaining bags of the last variety that was stored in their cooler. What this meant is that we brought home a good sized bag of juicy, ripe, “ready to eat yesterday” peaches.


Gluten Free Peach Cobbler
(An adaptation of Paula Deen's Recipe)
GF, CoF, SF, NF

Ingredients

  • 8 peaches peeled & sliced2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup tapioca starch
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • Ground cinnamon, optional

This is what the pre-baked product
will look like.
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Put the butter in a large baking dish and place in oven to melt.

Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, salt, baking soda.

Pour in milk slowly to prevent clumping.

Pour mixture over melted butter. DO NOT STIR.

Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup.

Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using.

Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for approx. 45 minutes. You will notice some browning on the edges.

 

Paula Deen recommends: “To serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream“. At this point you have used a quarter pound of butter, so why not? I, however, did not want to feel junky for 2 days, so we skipped it today.
In her recipe, the biscuit rises way above the peaches making this amazing looking fluffy crust- even though the batter starts on the bottom. In the GF adaptation is doesn't rise quite as much, though you will see it come around the edges. My guess is that the brown rice flour outweighs the peaches and juices. The result was still absolutely delicious despite this lack of top crust; and you'll still get a laky puffy crust on the bottom. You're scooping this into a bowl to serve... A bowl that it really won't last long in anyway, I see no problem.
With just a little more time on my hands during the summer I have put together a few new recipes that I am hoping to start posting again. I'm a little less lofty in my goals though- if I can post once a week, I'll be a happy camper.
Let me know your thoughts!
 
Naturally,
 
Raych

 

No comments:

Post a Comment