Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 10: 'Cause I'm hungry.. That Swai!

I wrote the title for today's blog and my husband looked at me cross-eyed, but smiled. It was that smile of, "I don't get it... but I'm going to pretend I do...?" Meanwhile, I thought I was pretty clever. Guess not :)

Swai is a remarkably light tasting white fish, and remarkably cheap! I bought over 1 lb for only about $4.00 at Price Chopper the other day! We only needed 1/2 lb to fee the three of us that would be eating it; so I kept the other 1/2 lb frozen. When I told my husband that, "Swai was the poor man's catfish"... he responded with, "Isn't catfish the poor man's catfish?"

That being said, we were pleasently surpised. I'm a picky eater when it comes to fish. I'll try any food once- as I flashback to Scungili Salad, toasted Cricket, or the nearly gag-worthy raw fresh water clam (nothing like cherrystone clams or oysters folks)- and most of the time I'd even venture a second try. I even LOVE sushi and sashimi. There is just something about preparing fish at home that leaves me going to the basic stand-by choices: tilapia, salmon and haddock... or canned tuna, but that's just not the same.

The best fish dish I've EVER had was at Disney's Epcot, the Coral Reef Restaurant- it was some Gulf of Mexico variety (sans petro-oil). That left me standing at the fish counter this week staring at the varieties, swearing that I would try something new. Looking at the prices, I decided that Swai was our budget (READ: Daycare cost) friendly option. Of course, it's coating (below) was nothing extraordinarily special, and Justin woudl have probably preferred if I hav=d made fish and chips0 because the man loves anything fried. This would be my "oven fried" attempt, and it wasn't bad!

As for the side dishes, I kept it simple. Quinoa is a frequent flier in my house, as is asparagus. As far as I'm concerned, they are my healthy sides when I'm in a pinch. Quinoa is a super-food, and since going gluten free I've discovered its amazing versatility. I'm sure iIll post a "sweet" version later as well. The asparagus was simply cooked tonight, but I also plan on sharing my sister's quick and crunch y oven baked GF asparagus recipe soon as well, as I use that one most of the time now.

Well, here it goes...



Corn Coated baked Swai (w/ Onion Quinoa and sauteed Asparagus)
Makes 6 servings, or 4 "hungry people" servings :)
For the fish:1lb of Swai
Olive Oil
Minced Garlic
Corn Meal
Salt & Pepper

Coat the fish with olive oil, brush with minced garlic and drop into finely ground corn meal.
You may want to season with salt and pepper as well.
Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes (depending upon thickness of the piece)

For the Quinoa:
1.5 Cups of Quinoa
1/2 cup diced onion
Olive Oil
1 TBS Minced Garlic
2 TBS Chopped Fresh Parsley
3 cups of chicken or veggie broth- we decided on chicken for this one

Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil.
Add the broth and the quinoa
Cover and cooke for about 10 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
Add and stir in the parsley

As far as the asparagus goes, I just cooked it in a lightly coated (with olive oil) pan with some salt and pepper.

Let me know your thoughts, or if you have any amazing fish recipes (or stories) you'd liek to share. Maybe I'll learn something and expand my bland old sea-based recipe repertoire!

Naturally,
Raych

No comments:

Post a Comment