Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 23: Steak-Tip tacos with Shallot-Tomato Sauce



There are images to go with tonight's meal, but I will have to post them tomorrow, when I post my usual blog for tomorrow... I am EXHAUSTED tonight. 

It was a long day at work (grades were due) and a long afternoon trying to get paperwork done for the bakery. Never mind juggling my family- you know, the one that takes TOP priority among my "regular" full-time jobs... so tired. Due to this utter exhaustion, and my need for cuddle time with the kiddos, tonight's entry will be cut short.

I can promise you that the following recipe, our dinner tonight, was absolutely delicious and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out. This wasn't a recipe from any book, website or magazine- but rather a sampling of what I had in my refrigerator! I wanted something "authentic" but not too spicy for little man. It was a late dinner, spices and chocolate keep my kid up and a little nutty- I wasn't going to risk it!

So here it is... try it for yourself... maybe add some cilantro (I didn't have any on hand) or your own adaptation. 

Steak Tacos w/ Tomato-Shallot Sauce
GF, SF, EF, DF/CF, NF (Contains Corn)

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
1lb of sirloin steak tips (thin steak)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded, diced
1 Cup shallots, minced

Also needed/ Extra toppings:
Corn Tortillas
Shredded cheese
Avocado

Cooking the steak:
Coat both sides of all of the steak with the cumin and chipotle seasoning.
Using 1 tbs of the oil, cook the steak in a sauté pan on medium heat until it is cooked to your desired level of “done”.
Set aside to cool, then chop up into steak strips for the tacos.

The Tomato/Shallot Sauce:
In the same pan (without washing, because you get the residual spices), add the remaining 2 TBS of oil.
Saute the garlic and shallots until soft
Add in the tomatoes
Cook until the tomatoes “burst” a little and become soft.

To prepare the tacos:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees
Warm the tortillas in the microwave; fill with steak chunks, tomato/shallot sauce and a sprinkle of cheese.
Wrap each taco in foil and place on a baking sheet.
Warm in the oven for 5-8 minutes (to melt the cheese and re-warm the steak)

Serve in foil with fresh avocado slices.


This meal turned out delicious- especially considering it was just a “throw together” meal. As I’ve said in the past, our family is definitely a taco family, so any variety of taco is usually a hit.

Leave a comment if you try it out, and let me know what I can add to it in the future!

Naturally,

Raych





No comments:

Post a Comment