Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 21: Split Pea Soup


A blustery winter-storm day calls for some hot and creamy soup! Tonight’s recipe was a mixture of various recipes I found online for split pea soup. We had a great ham dinner at my parent’s house last night and my mom had a little bit of ham and a hearty ham bone left over. I “inherited” a bag of dry split peas from her- she’s a crazy sale shopper, my sister and I joke that she will be prepared if there is an apocalypse. Justin was happy that I was going for split-pea soup, since it was something I had really only made a couple of times before, and never this authentic of a version; meanwhile, it is one of his favorite soups.

The verdict came in, and we decided this was a keeper. Isaac stalled in trying the soup for quite a while. I think the color and texture caught him off guard, but once he tried it he went from, “I don’t like that type of soup,” to, “This is one of my favorite soups!!” He then devoured the whole bowl. Another plus to this dish, it was a true family meal… While most meals I prepare are specifically for Justin, myself and Isaac… Henri AND our dog, Selma, were also able to partake. I did not give Henri any of the ham chunks, but he really enjoyed the peas and carrots with ham flavoring! Meanwhile, Selma was able to get the ham bone (the same one I can hear clanking all over our floor above my head- I am in our basement typing this).

So here it is; once again, let me know your thoughts!


Split Pea and Ham Soup
GF, CF/DF, CoF, SF, NF, EF- That’s right… unless you’re Vegan, you can enjoy it!

Ingredients:
2 quarts of water
1 lb dry split peas (Goya)
1 large ham bone
1 ½ C ham, cubed
1 medium onion ( I used a Peruvian sweet onion again)
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 C chopped carrots
1 large potato, chopped small
¼ tsp Celery Salt
Salt and pepper, to taste


Soak the dried peas in the water for AT LEAST 6 hours, though you can soak overnight as well
When ready to make… chop the onion finely.
Sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent, but not browned.
Add the onions, ham bone, potato, chopped ham, celery salt, carrots and garlic to the pot or peas and water.
Bring to a boil then reduce to medium/low heat- stir occasionally
Cook uncovered for 75-90 minutes, or until peas are all mashed, water has reduced significantly, and the mixture is a frothy green.
I mashed the potatoes with the ladle a little before I served, just to thicken slightly.

Henri enjoying his pea soup!
Selma, our chihuahua snacking on a ham bone

Isaac wasn't sure about it, but eventually ate it all!

My cute hubby, mid-bite! 

Hope you all enjoy! For those of you in CT tonight, stay home and stay safe, I can imagine the roads are a little junky!


Naturally,

Raych

No comments:

Post a Comment