Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 19: Italian Sausage and Soup Mix

That's right- sausage and soup mix. I knew I would be making something with sweet italian sausage tonight, but was not sure of what. Then I remembered: I received an email yesterday from Grace- she was in search of a GF alternative to Lipton chicken noodle soup mix. So, being a little creative, I thought I'd decide to make some level of a chunky sausage soup. Justin said it was the best soups I've ever made- so I guess it's worth a shot to pass it along :)


While I sent my response prior to trying out this recipe (below), I thoguht it wise that I attempt it myself and maybe put a little spin on it for my families dinner this evening. The orignal recipe was one I found online, but it contained gluten and far less garlic than I remember soup mix having, so it's slightly adapted.


My response was the following...



From... Chicken Noodle Soup Mix to Sweet Italian Sausage Soup...


"2 tablespoons chicken bouillon (HerbOx and Knorr brands are gluten free)


1 teaspoon garlic powder


1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes


1 tablespoon dried onion flakes


1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (McCormick brand is GF)


1/8 teaspoon pepper


As for the noodles... I like Schar brand Anellini pasta (they are little
"O" shaped noodles and good for soups or, I'm assuming, recipes calling for
a soup mix) I have been able to find them at Price Chopper and some Stop
and Shop's in the past. I would guess that to replce the noodles in a
packet of soup you might want about 1/3 cup- but I'll leave that up to you."



When I used this recipe today- I subtracted the noodles and added the following...


6 cups of water
1 cup of white mushrooms, cut/broken into small pieces
1 large red bell pepper
1 can of "Black-Eyed Peas"
1 lb of Sweet Italian Sausage, cooked and chopped into chunks

 Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and boil on medium until the peppers are tender



Now Grace's need for this recipe was not to make actual soup, but rather to use the mix in another recipe she had received. If anyone has a better suggestion, as I am by no means an expert on soup mixes, PLEASE leave them in the comment boxes below. If anyone has any other recipes they woudl liek me to try out, or to try to concoct, please let me know that as well. I am always up for a challenge!


Enjoy your dinner and let me know your thoughts!


Naturally,
Raych

No comments:

Post a Comment