Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 14 and 15 Recipes! Turkey-Loaf and Baby Food!

Two recipes to post today... One that I made for my family tonight (and served with green beans), the other I made for my mini man (Henri) both for tonight's dinner and to send along to daycare as frozen 1ounce cubes... It's a carrot, parsnip and apple mixture which I have to imagine is good for eyesight... that is, of course, why I was always told to eat my carrots!

I have been pretty set on making MOST of the baby food that each of my kids started out on. I like knowing exactly what goes in to their little tummies; and I like having control over the organic portion of the whole thing. All I do is prepare their dishes in big vats and then freeze into nice little 1 ounce cubes. A regular ice cube tray works... but I also have little silicone baby food trays. To be honest with you, I almost prefer the ice cube trays. They stack nicer and pop out easier. The cubes are convenient because we can decide how much Henri might need at that particular meal, or even mix and match cubes. Nice.

In my yucki-ness over the last few days, I have severely neglected my recipe making. To get myself back into the swing of things I decided to make a s imple turkey meatloaf tonight. Please note that I used ground turkey BREAST... it's healthier, but it's lower in fat- so if you use the alternatives (beef or non-breast turkey) I have no promises of results :)

I really don't have any cute little quips tonight; I have an early meeting tomorrow and have to hit the hay... but here are the recipes... ENJOY!



Turkey Meatloaf
Depending on your sauce choices (ketchup, soy, etc) I can only guarantee GF and CoF :)

Ingredients:

  1 medium onion , chopped (Today I tried- Peruvian Sweet Yellow Onions)

  2 TBS Olive Oil

  3 cloves garlic , minced

  1 lb ground turkey breast

  1/3 cup GF breadcrumbs

  1 egg

  3 TBS ketchup + some to coat the top

  1 tsp Soy Sauce (I use LaChoy, because it’s the best name-brand GF option)

  ¼  teaspoon kosher salt

 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Sauté the onions in the olive oil until soft.
Combine all of the ingredients well in a bowl

Press into a glass bread dish (I sprayed mine with a little spray olive oil)

Coat the top of the meatloaf with a little bit of ketchup
Bake for approximately 45 min, or until cooked well, all the way through, and pulled slightly from sides.




 Baby Food: Here's looking at you... CARROT/PARSNIP/APPLE
(This is SO basic, I don't think you need the "what's not in it list")

2 cups of chopped carrots (or you can use baby carrots for a quicker shot at this)

½ cup of chopped parsnip

1 Cortland Apple

1 Granny Smith Apple
 

Bring carrots and parsnip to a boil in a COVERED pot of water- the water should not cover the veggies, but only come about ½ way up, your aim is to “steam” the rest.
Boil hard for 5 minutes.

Add diced apples

Boil until everything is soft. I have to be honest, I didn’t pay attention to how long this took, but it wasn’t more than 20 more minutes.
Reserve the broth- you can use that to reduce the blended mixture down to the desired consistency.

Process/Blend food in a food processor or baby-food maker to desired consistency.

Freeze or serve as you would like.


let me know your thoughts!

Naturally,
Raych

No comments:

Post a Comment