Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 5: Butternut Squash Soup w/ Grilled Cheese (Baby Food Recipe Included)


Today was the perfect soup day. It was a little chilly out and Henri, Isaac and I are all feeling the effects of a cold. I think my students love that I lose my voice nearly every time I get a good cold- this would be week 2 without a voice for the 2011-12 school year.

I have made butternut squash soup in the past, but decided to change it up a little this time. This is a delicious sweet soup, and went REALLY well with grilled cheese. I have to admit that rather than making my own bread, I used Udi’s multi-grain GF bread. It’s not my favorite brand… I prefer making my own or buying Rudi’s or Canyon Bakehouse multi-grain GF breads. I’ll put up my homemade sandwich bread recipe soon as well.

I’m limited on time tonight- I want to spend time with my little guys before they head off to bed- so I’ll get straight to the recipe.

Butternut Apple Soup and Baby Food
Makes 4-5 large bowls
GF, EF, SF, NF, CoF and CF/DF (without the cream)
1 Medium Butternut Squash, chopped into 1 inch cubes
1/2 medium onion (minced fine)
3 large granny smith apples, cut into cubes
3 Cups veggie stock/broth (I used the remainder of my Kitchen Basics stock that I used for yesterday’s recipe)
1 TBS minced Garlic
1 TBS Honey
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp Cream per bowl (optional)


 
Prepare all ingredients prior to starting soup.
Sauté the minced onion with olive oil in the bottom of a medium sauce pan.



Once the onions are tender, add the butternut squash and veggie stock to the pan. Bring to a high boil for about 4 minutes.


Add in the cut apple and reduce mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.



At this point I removed a small portion of the mixture and blended to make baby food for Henri.
Add in the garlic and honey.
Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Puree the entire mixture with a blender or hand mixer (depending on how smooth you would like it).
I served mine with a swirl of cream in it, but that is optional and negligible for taste.

Henri enjoying his butternut-apple blend.
The recipe turned out pretty good. Isaac loved dipping his grilled cheese into the soup. Henri was a fan of the blended butternut/apple. . Of course, I needed to blend it more for him. I had originally made it a little too chunky. 
 Justin ate his up quickly as well. They are all more than willing to eat GF, mostly because I’m the family cook… but I did make them some rather glutinous grilled cheese tonight. One of the only gluten containing things we keep in the house is bread for them Overall, a great hearty meal!
Let me know your thoughts! Enjoy!

Naturally,
Raych

No comments:

Post a Comment