Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 2: Orange-Ginger Sauce on Grilled Salmon


A little later timing in my post today, as my husband and I had a "date day" to see a movie while the kiddos hung out with Grammy and Papa. It's amazing that I feel guilty just leaving the kiddos for a few hours- but it definitely helps us relax!

Onward with the cooking...
Yesterday was unseasonably warm. Therefore, a good grilling session was in order!
Justin (my husband) and I both love “Asian” cuisine- though I am well aware that that can mean MANY things, in this case it meant fish, ginger and orange.

Just so everyone is aware, I do prepare all of my own baby foods as well, with only the occasional jarred organic variety. Unfortunately, Henri was unable to enjoy this meal with us; but I will show you some of my delicious baby food recipes later as I prepare “co-dishes” that both adult and baby can enjoy!

As far as the following meal goes- Justin said, “Salmon is one of my least favorite fish and the sauce made the fish edible”. Isaac, once again, did not want to try the dish- but tonight we instituted the “two bite rule”. Everyone has to try at least 2 bites of a meal before they officially decide they do not like it. Once Isaac tried it I got a, “’Dat’s pretty gooood!” mark of approval. Not much more I could ask for there.

The sauce is not as strong as one might think; it’s actually quite mild. I could imagine this being a great summer dish later, with some grilled summer squash too!

 Orange-Ginger Sauce on Grilled Salmon
Probably serves 4… but we had 2 adults, one child and leftovers.

For the Sauce:
Juice of 4 clementine oranges  (Approx.  2/3 Cup)
1TBS Sesame oil
1 TBS Olive Oil
½ of a medium yellow onion MINCED *On a side note: these were quite possibly the strongest yellow onions I’ve ever worked with. My eyes were watering just from stirring them in the pan.
1 ½ TBS grated fresh ginger
2 TBS White Wine (I used ballet of Angels- I figured I could spare 2 TBS)
1 TBS honey
Pinch salt
Couple turns of fresh cracked pepper

For the Salmon:
1 large piece of salmon w/ skin on
Sheet of aluminum foil
Minced Garlic (to taste)
Cracked Sea Salt
Cracked Pepper

Making the sauce:
Sauté the onions in the olive and sesame oils over medium heat; until soft, but not yet golden.
Add the clementine juice and reduce heat to low.
Let simmer for 1 minute, then add the fresh ginger and splash of white wine
Bring back up to a high simmer (medium heat) and cook for 2 minutes
Add in the 1 TBS of Honey and stir until combined.
Remove from heat
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Grilling the Salmon:
Season the salmon with salt pepper and minced garlic.
Grill the salmon skin side down on aluminum foil
Grill until cooked through. Do not overcook! I had a thick slice of salmon, so it took a little bit of time and a rotation of the whole foil on the grill to cook evenly.
The fish should flake right off of it's skin (the skin will stick to the foil)
Top with fish with the warm fresh ginger-orange sauce.

 
This would probably pair well with asparagus, but I totally forgot to pick some up yesterday at the grocery store- so we had simple green beans and brown rice instead. You'll likely see a trend that brown rice is my fall back- often.

Enjoy! Let me know your thoughts!





Naturally,
Raych

Tomorrow: Ginger Snap Cookies :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment