Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 6: GF & VEGAN "Crazy" Loaf Bread



I am the proud “owner” of two virus infested little men. I just can’t think of where they got it from (as I still have a raspy voice myself). That being said, dinner will be one that is quick and easy tonight- but I am not one to disappoint, and decided to try out a new recipe of GF bread while I was making the quick/easy meal.
I stopped in at Ocean State Job Lot today to pick up a excessive quantity of flours in order to venture this new bread machine loaf bread. Another customer and I sparked up a conversation about gluten free flour and living (as well as its value to children and adults with autism). I have been blessed with two very healthy and albeit “easy” kids, but appreciate that even the smallest diet change can make a big difference in the lives of those living with autism. As Laura and I chatted, (“Hi Laura, if you’re reading this, it was nice to meet you! If I got your name wrong I apologize”) she mentioned that she is also vegan. While our bakery is vegan (and all allergen free) I had not thought about mentioning the ways you can make each of my recipes listed here vegan as well. For that reason- I tried a VEGAN and gluten free loaf bread tonight. 
The ingredients I am trying are listed below, steps to the process will be posted shortly!

Gluten Free “Crazy” Loaf Bread
GF, EF, CF/DF, SF, CoF, NF- but hopefully not TF (taste free)!
Liquid:
1 1/4 cups warm water

3 tablespoons olive oil (I use extra virgin, it makes me feel better after two kids, hehe)

1 tablespoon agave nectarDescription: http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=recipfromaglu-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=B000FL08B0 (thought I’d make it vegan)

1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar

Flax Gel equivalent of 1 egg (To Make: Combine 1 TBS ground flax [I use golden flax] and mix with 3 TBS warm water, allow to sit for a minute before combining with other ingredients, this makes an egg-like gel)

Dry:
1 cups brown rice flour 
1 ½ Cups tapioca starch
1/2 cup teff flourDescription: http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=recipfromaglu-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=B001ELL364
2 teaspoons xanthan gumDescription: http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=recipfromaglu-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=B000EDK7ZQ
1 tsp kosher salt
1 packet rapid dry yeastDescription: http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=recipfromaglu-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=B0039VIH0W or 2 1/4 teaspoons (I use the jar, it’s cheaper for the amount of times I use it!)

You may want poppy or sesame seed for the top. I actually put sesame, poppy and onion bits on mine. That’s my way of paying homage to the “crazy bagels” of yore… ahhh how I miss bagels; perhaps I’ll try that sometime soon too!
(Afterthought: I should have topped with minced garlic too)


Instructions:
If you’re making this in a bread machine… pour liquid ingredients in first.


All all of the dry ingredients except the "toppings".


After the first rise cycle, you will want to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.


After the bread machine goes through all rising cycles, quickly pour topping onto loaf. If I were to do this over, I would add in the garlic as well.


In the end, this bread tasted pretty good. It is a bit denser in texture than many breads most of us are used to, but I think I could comfortable use this for a small sandwich, to dip in warm soup, or even to toast up and use as croutons or bread in fresh onion soup.


Let me know your thoughts! Wish us well in getting the kiddos down for a full night of rest tonight!




Naturally,
Raych

No comments:

Post a Comment