Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 13: Well, kind of... Oatmeal Creme Brulee


    Yesterday was pretty unproductive as far as getting out of bed even goes... so making a recipe was not something that was going to happen. Therefore, I have decided to provide 2 days worth of recipes today (The 2nd to be posted this evening). While I'm still quite miserable and didn't realize that strep throat was so icky, I needed to get out of bed a little today and tend to my family. 

    I keep giving my husband the, "If something ever happens to me, promise to..." lecture. To conclude that statement are things like, "empty the lint trap in the dryer between each load" or "not eat out EVERY night" or "remember to buy baby food" or even "give the kids baths." While I feel like (READ: "I AM") a nag, these are the little things that make me neurotic on a daily basis, just being a mommy. The sort of things that my hubby doesn't have to think about- until I'm down for the count for 3 days.
    Of course, while we both know that I am not on my death-bed, his response was, "Promise me if something happens TO YOU, that you send me a buxom redhead who can do all this stuff for me?" Yeah... thanks Justin... I told him he could send me a guy with a nice six pack who puts his clothes in a laundry basket instead of on the floor 6 feet away. I thought that was fair.

So the family "brunch" recipe for this morning was an Oatmeal Creme Brulee. Keep in mind that this was a recipe from the internet, adapted to gluten free and a more golden top. The other change I would make next time is to add a little more cinnamon, but that extra is not included in the recipe below.


OATMEAL CREME BRULEE
GF, CoF, NF, SF (Could easily be adapted for other allergens- the original recipe said you could use an egg substitute, and I think this would work with PLAIN almond or soy milk too)

Ingredients:
    2 1/4 C GF Oats (I used Bob's Red Mill, but prefer GF Oat Company)
    1/3 Cup sugar
    1/4 tsp Salt (optional)
    3 1/3 Cup milk
    2 Eggs 
    2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
    1 TBS Cinnamon 
    2 TBS Brown sugar 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8X8 dish with cooking spray.

Combine milk, eggs and vanilla in large bowl. 

Add oats, sugar,cinnamon, and salt; mix well.

Pour into baking dish, spread oats evenly.

Bake about 45 minutes or until center is not runny. Edges should pull away from dish slightly.

Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top. 
NOW YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS- 
1. Return to oven and bake till sugar is melted.  
Or 2- Use a hand-held propane torch to lightly burn the sugar on top (this is the option I chose)

Allow to cool slightly, and cut


Isaac was a HUGE fan- he loves oatmeal and cinnamon. He had two helpings and topped it off with some baby carrots. The kiddo had been eating like a horse, we're pretty sure it's another growth spurt. Add that to my mommy list- go through the kids clothes and figure out what they've outgrown!


Isaac enjoying his oatmeal
(Note the red-raw nose from his virus too!)
While I made this, I made Henri some homemade apple sauce, which he happily slurped up, while looking longingly at Isaac's plate.





Let me know your thoughts!

Naturally,
Raych

No comments:

Post a Comment