Thursday, January 2, 2014

Agave Sea-Salt Caramel

Oh. My. God.

Words could not possible describe how absolutely amazingly delicious this recipe is... Now I have to admit, the original caramel recipe was courtesy of Simplygluten-free.com; only minor adaptations were made due to what I had available in my house the day I was craving this.
I should also point out that I am ALWAYS craving sea-salt caramel items.
I am not going to pretend that because this is made with agave instead of refined sugar it has suddenly become a health food; but doesn't it just make you feel a smidge better?
 
So here it is...
 
 
Agave Sea-Salt Caramel
For sake of honesty, this is a stock picture, I can't seem to track mine down,
but this is how the recipe looks when done, in the same type of jar I used :)
GF, CoF, SF, NF (Contains dairy/casein)

1 cup organic raw blue agave

1 cup light agave

1 cup heavy cream

½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks

2 teaspoons sea salt

 
The original recipe says:
"Combine the agave and cream in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, one tablespoon at a time. Transfer to a bowl or jar and let cool completely. "
I'm going to say... it took me a little over 5 minutes to get the consistency I wanted AND when they say occasionally, it does not mean you should walk away from the pan. It needs to be stirred, maybe just slightly more than occasionally?
 
I served it over ice cream and stored the remainder in a mason jar in the fridge. It has dairy, so I would not keep it for too long unless you want go through proper canning, but we did use it up to a week later with no food poisoning, fun.
 
If you try this out, let me know what you think!
 
Naturally,
Raych

 

No comments:

Post a Comment